Re: origin of bats

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 2:36 PM, David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
>>> Placing this bat, Onychonycteris, into an established
>>> cladogram shifts no taxa. Yes, indeed it is the most
>>> primitive bat in the cladogram. The civets Protictis,
>>> Nandinia and Ptilocercus remain non-volent outgroup taxa.
>>>
>> ?!? The civets are not included in the phylogenetic analysis in this
>> paper!
>
> And *Nandinia* isn't even a civet. It's the sister-group of the rest of
> Feliformia. If necessary, I can provide references tomorrow. (As I will for
> the claims on LINE insertion... if I don't forget again...)

I think he meant to put a comma between "civets" and the rest, since
*none* of those genera are viverrid. _Protictis_ is a stem-carnivoran
and _Ptilocercus_ is a tupaiid (tree shrew).

If you include only those taxa and bats, the topology should be:
(_Ptilocercus_, (_Chiroptera_, (_Protictis_, (_Nandinia_,
_Viverridae_)))). Odd choice of taxa....
--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology