re: origin of bats/reply to J. Headden

JH wrote:

<<Nothing in what you have shown in your email supports your previous position
of a bipedal hypothesis. Could you care to elaborate on the paper's support or
lack of refutation on the bipedal hypothesis, and what bipedal bats you have to
argue your case? I can, as others have, cite several morphological features
which make it difficult to evolve from bipedal locomotion[1]. Note that
standing around on two legs does not result in any form of bipedal constraint
on development, especially locomotorally.

[1] For example, the twisting of the entire hindlimb around its long axis,
echolocation, cranial features adapted for three-dimensional auditory and
visual senses which are absent in terrestrial quadrupeds OR bipeds, but are
present in volant and arboreal animals, of which few are bipeds aside from
birds (and they don't run around in trees).>>

  Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden

Unfortunately, Jaime, you're thinking only of upright bipeds. All bats are
inverted.

BTW sorry if I missed any posts that needed answers. I've only recently had the
chance to see the list.
I've been responding to emails that have cc'd me personally.

 David Peters

davidpeters@att.net