Re: origin of bats/reply to D. Marjanovic

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:17 AM, David Peters <davidpeters@att.net> wrote:
> DM wrote:
>
> <<And *Nandinia* isn't even a civet. It's the sister-group of the rest of
> Feliformia. If necessary, I can provide references tomorrow. (As I will for
> the claims on LINE insertion... if I don't forget again...) >>
>
> So Nandinia isn't the African Palm Civet? Everywhere else I look it is. Check
> Google.
>  David Peters

Just because people call it a "civet" doesn't mean it's a true civet.
For example tree shrews, elephant shrews, and otter shrews are not
true shrews, horned toads are not true toads, and North American
vultures are not true vultures. Don't rely on vernacular nomenclature!

_Nandinia_ has been found as the sister group to all other feliforms.
In general, "classical" Viverridae has been found to be polyphyletic,
with euplerids (Malagasy carnivorans) and herpestids (mongooses)
closer to hyaenids and prionodontids (Asian linsangs; African linsangs
are still viverrids) closer to felids.

What is your list of taxa?
--
T. Michael Keesey