From: ptnorton@suscom-maine.net
To: dinoboygraphics@aol.com <dinoboygraphics@aol.com>; david.marjanovic@gmx.at <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>; dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:23 pm
Subject: Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK

On 6/23/2008, "dinoboygraphics@aol.com" <dinoboygraphics@aol.com> wrote:

Almost certainly?  In an organism that doesn't even preserve evidence
of feathers on the thumb???

I said "analogous to". I did not say it had an alula. An alula functions by affecting the air flow over the wing in a way that delays stall. Clawed fingers, if elevated, could have performed that same function.

You are assuming apriori that archie a)
flew,

That's a pretty safe assumption, based on the analyses done to date.

and b) was arboreal.

I'm not assumming that at all. I agree with Mayer (2002?) that Archie was likley facultatively arboreal, but not an obligate tree dweller.

If you assume that archie landed in trees, then it sure seems like it
had _better_ have an alula, but none of the specimens preserve evidence
of such.

Again, it doesn't take too careful a reading of my post to see that I did NOT say it had an alula, only the functional aerodynamic equivalent of one in the exposed manus claws.

not having an
alula would be consistent with the lack of a reversed hallux, the short
length of the hallux, the lack of strong felxor tubercles on the pes
claws, the long non-sprawling hindlimbs,

These all point to the likelihood of Archie not being able to perch very well, but have nothing to do with flight, per se. They do support the idea of Archie landing on trunks, rather than on branches, as I suggest.

PTJN