Re: The Fossils of China

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Jerry D. Harris <jharris@dixie.edu> wrote:

> (who knew that there is a National Museum of Plant History of China?!?)

Yes, it's an important museum among the institutions of China. But
it's a fairly boring museum, so we'll skip it.

(If you don't get the reference, just ignore that.)

> _Cryptodira liaoxiensis_ -- yes, the name has all KINDS of problems

Not under the PhyloCode, where you can use any clade that includes the
species as a prenomen:
http://www.ohiou.edu/phylocode/art21.html#art21.5
(Assuming it really *is* a cryptodire, of course.)

Of course, the PhyloCode doesn't cover species, and I think the ICZN
would frown on such a name, so the combination is no good for coining
it--for subsequent reference, though, it could work, assuming it's not
ambiguous (i.e., no other cryptodire species is name _liaoxiensis_).

>  But here, plain English has been used in the names, so they sound
> kind of bizarre to at least my ear.  But it's not illegal as far as I
> know...I wonder if this will catch on?

Is this the work of the translator, or are the English names in Roman
script in the Chinese portions?

> Perhaps most hilariously, it "renames"
> _Xianglong_ (the gliding lizard from Liaoning) -- it calls it _Glidosaur
> zhaoi_.  We had endless laughs about that one.

Hmm, sounds like the translator's fault....

Maybe we should do that more. The gigantic saurofoot, Armosaurus; the
crafty handiraptor, Speedoraptor; the fearsome fleshosaur
Bigasouthosaurus!
--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology