Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Erik Boehm" <erikboehm07@yahoo.com>
To: <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>; <dinoboygraphics@aol.com>; <ptnorton@suscom-maine.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:13 PM
Subject: Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK

The simplest explanation that fits all the facts seems to be they are meant to generate aerodynamic lift. The simplest explanation for having that ability, is gliding.

While I agree with the first sentence (though I would subsitute the word 'forces' for 'lift'), the second sentence expresses an assumption. Their precoursors had to have been functional too. An active ability to modulate aerodynamic forces may be simpler than gliding, and does not necessarily lead to gliding as an intermediate to actively powered flight. Note though, that I'm not saying that the animals did not glide or could not glide.
JimC