Re: Fw: Archie a non-flyer? (was:Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK)

Comments inserted.
JimC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roberto Takata" <rmtakata@gmail.com>
To: "jrc" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
Cc: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Archie a non-flyer? (was:Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK)

It would be
better that I've said "by avoiding partially turbulent airflux"

That still implies laminar flow, which isn't happening.

Reducing feather mass? Reducing feather total area?

No. Controlling the resistance to torsional deflection.

Not to the best of my knowledge. However, with the exception of mass
effects (and at very high lift coefficients), the wings would operate much
the same even if the individual feathers were shaped like planks,

With no effect on airflux?

Depends upon what you mean by airflux -- that's non-standard terminology, and may mean different things to different people. At low lift coefficients, there would not be much difference in flow or forces involved.
JimC