Re: Archie a non-flyer? (was:Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK)

comments inserted
JimC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roberto Takata" <rmtakata@gmail.com>
To: "jrc" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
Cc: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: Archie a non-flyer? (was:Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK)

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:01 AM, jrc <jrccea@bellsouth.net> wrote:
Not at all.  You are ignoring the vertical translation of the stagnation
line that is located just below the leading edge nose (for a wing that is
lifting upward).

One could *invert* the curvature...

One could -- but, that has nothing to do with what I was talking about above. If you do that, the stagation line will just move further below the leading edge nose in order to compensate.

but Bernoulli works if you want to put the effort into it.

Not to create the most of the lift (perhaps in some special circumstances).

I'm afraid you're wrong there. I suggest looking further into how Bernoulli boundary conditions are supposed to be applied. That said, it takes quite a bit of effort to apply Bernoulli properly, and there are other methods that are easier to apply even though they are no more accurate. there's more than one way to skin a cat.
JimC