Re: Archie a non-flyer? (was:Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK)

Dann Pigdon (dannj@alphalink.com.au) wrote:

<It should be kept in mind though that archie apparently lived on islands, and
there are really only two ways to get on and off islands (only one of them
involves getting wet). In fact, the ability to fly to and from small islands
would have been useful for many reasons (predator-free nesting sights come to
mind).>

  Yes, and I noted a week or so ago that beyond a limited range in southern
Germany, Archie is otherwise unknown. This suggests it was limited in extent,
and possibly in ability to extend its range. The range may be analogous to the
range of the solitaires and dodos in the near-Madagascan islands of the Indian
Ocean, which arrived there when flighted, then lost the ability fairly rapidly.
It may also be the largest non-fully terrestrial carnivore in the Solnhofen
limestone, given that crocs were confined to the water for the most part,
*Compsognathus*/*Juravenator* were probably the arch terrestrial predator, but
that may not leave much more to its habitat. I don't think its diet is even
fairly grounded at this point.

  Recurved, compressed, small, relatively even teeth imply some possible
insectivory, and I am sure the teeth of *Compsognathus* imply more
flesh-processing capability.

  Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden