Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK

<Well... *Velociraptor* had wings, too, yet it clearly didn't fly. We don't
know how broad these wings were, but doesn't the presence of quill knobs
suggest reasonably strong forces on the wings, which inturn suggests fairly
long wing feathers?>

  Well, technically, this depends on a definition of "wing." And a lot more. it
is unlikely, for example, *Velociraptor* could adducte the humerus laterally to
a 90 degree angle to the vertical (straight out). It certainly was not capable
of fully folding the arm, though this is hardly material, and the manus could
not fold against the forearm as much as the forearm could against the humerus.

  In addition, I am not all that sure that feather length is correlated to the
size of quill knobs. Can you cite something to the effect of a correlation?

  Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden