Re: Albertosaurine Survival and the End of the Cretaceous

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:58 AM, Pascaline Lauters
<pascaline.lauters@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Horner et al., 2004 refers to the chapter about Hadrosauridae in The
> Dinosauria 2nd edition (if I guess right...).

You do. My copy does indeed say Turonian, with the formation as
Yuliangze. Every other source I've checked online, from Wikipedia to
hadrosaur papers published in '08, says Maastrichtian for that
formation.

> However the original papers about Charonosaurus are
> Godefroit, Zan & Jin, 2000. _Charonosaurus jiayinensis_ n.g., n.sp., a
> lambeosaurine dinosaur from the Late Maastrichtian of north-eastern China.
> Comptes rendus de l'Académie des Sciences de Paris, Sciences de la Terre et
> des Planètes 330; 875-882
> Godefroit, Zan & Jin, 2001. The Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous)
> lambeosaurine dinosaur _Charonosaurus jiayinensis_ from north-eastern China.
> Bulletin de l'Institut Royal des Sciences Naturelles de Belgique, Sciences
> de la Terre 71: 119-168
> and state that Yuliangze Formation "is Maastrichtian in age, maybe late
> Maastrichtian if palynological correlation with Lancian formations in North
> America can be confirmed".
> This statement is also resumed in other papers from Godefroit
> (Amurosaurus, Olorotitan, Sahaliyania & Wulagasaurus,...) and Van Itterbeeck
> about the Amur/Heilongjiang Region.
> There is maybe a typo to correct in the next edition of The Dinosauria :P

Heh, certainly seems that way. I wonder where that "Turonian" came
from, anyway . . .

Thanks for the info check.