Re: Shaking up the bird family tree

Didn't someone recently find that in a group of stick insects? I'm afraid I don't have the reference at hand.

I think they may have - I know the paper you're talking about, and I'll dig it out. That said, the thing about flight loss in phasmids (and mantids, as well, to an extent) is that the non-flying taxa seem to be grounded more by gigantism without wing enlargement, than by true wing reduction (to an extent, anyway. The wings are truly reduced in some taxa). The upshot is that flight loss/gain may be unusually plastic in phasmids. Emphasis on maybe.

Cheers,

--Mike

Michael Habib, M.S. PhD. Candidate Center for Functional Anatomy and Evolution Johns Hopkins School of Medicine 1830 E. Monument Street Baltimore, MD 21205 (443) 280-0181 habib@jhmi.edu