Re: Archie a non-flyer? (was:Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK)

Comments inserted below.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roberto Takata" <rmtakata@gmail.com>
To: "jrc" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: Archie a non-flyer? (was:Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK)

 Why the air above the stagnation line will accelerate in (I)? And the
air bellow stagnation line will accelarate in (II)?

Because of the different position of the stagnation line relative to the leading edge of the airfoil.

It could not be the mechanical cause.

Roberto, there is a good description and illustration of this in Fig. 3.4 of Barnes W. McCormick's excellent text 'Aerodynamics, Aeronautics, and Flight Mechanics, John Wiley & Sons, 1979. In one of the editions that I have, Figure 3.4 is located on pages 67 and 68. The accompanying text, located on pages 66 and 69, is also pertinent. For an airfoil that is lifting downward, just invert the Figure and description. This is quite a good text, aimed at seniors and first year grad students, and for those who might not be familiar with the subject, I highly recommend it as an introduction to aerodynamics and flight mechanics.

All the best,
JimC