Re: Archie a non-flyer? (was:Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roberto Takata" <rmtakata@gmail.com>
To: "jrc" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: Archie a non-flyer? (was:Re: origin of bats/reply 2 to TMK)

Pressures *normal* to the airfoil. An air flow that do not flow
horizontally to the airfoil do not create differential pressure by
Bernouilli effect - just its horizontal component.

This statement makes no sense to me as phrased. Could you rephrase it please?

Why the air above the stagnation line will accelerate in (I)? And the
air bellow stagnation line will accelarate in (II)?

Because of the different position of the stagnation line relative to the leading edge of the airfoil.

It could not be the mechanical cause.

Why not? As you know, the flow on the 'leading' side of the airfoil and aft of the stagnation line (lower surface when developing upward lift) remains fairly close to the surface of the airfoil and moves fairly directly aft along the airfoil -- while the flow on the 'trailing' side of the airfoil (upper surface when developing upward lift), reverses direction, goes around the leading edge, moves aft along the outer perimeter of the seperation bubble, thereby forming a cambered path that increases velocity and lowers pressure on that surface.

All the best,
JimC