Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: Synapsids weren't reptiles?

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Dora Smith <villandra@austin.rr.com> wrote:
I am looking at an article in the March 2008 issue of New Scientist. It's
a discussion about missing links or something; I seem to be missing the
first page.

It says that synapsids "were once" called mammal-like reptiles, bot no more,
"because synapsids are not reptiles -- the two groups evolved in parallel
from a common ancestor".

What was the common ancestor - an amphibian?

No, an amniote. The first amniote, which was neither synapsid nor sauropsid, but was immediately ancestral to synapsids and sauropsids. (The authors are probably using "reptile" to refer to some group within _Sauropsida_, although arguably the term "reptile" should just be abandoned.)

"Synapsida" is generally used to refer to the mammalian total group
nowadays (i.e., everything sharing closer ancestry with mammals than
with any extant non-mammal). Other names for this group are
"Theropsida" and "pan-Mammalia".

A preferable term for the paraphyletic group that used to be termed
"synapsids", "mammal-like reptiles", etc. is "stem-mammals" (i.e., the
mammalian stem group: the total group minus the crown group).
--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology