Re: New _Pterodaustro_ paper out.

Oh, and the usual follow up goes with this post.

I.e. if anyone has a copy of the paper, a copy passed
my way would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=143&art_id=vn20080303060157578C634819

http://journals.royalsociety.org/content/98443w8551537723/?p=31c9060fe99144659d36712c1aab3eb5&pi=0

> Following is the abstract:
>

> A. Chinsamy1, L. Codorniú2, L. Chiappe3
>
> Developmental growth patterns of the filter-feeder
> pterosaur, Pterodaustro guiñazui
>
> Abstract
>
> Life-history parameters of pterosaurs such as growth
> and ontogenetic development represent an enigma.
> This
> aspect of pterosaur biology has remained perplexing
> because few pterosaur taxa are represented by
> complete
> ontogenetic series. Of these, Pterodaustro is unique
> in that besides being represented by hundreds of
> individuals with wing spans ranging from 0.3 to
> 2.5m,
> it includes an embryo within an egg. Here we present
> comprehensive osteohistological assessment of
> multiple
> skeletal elements of a range of ontogenetic sizes of
> Pterodaustro, and we provide unparalleled insight
> into
> its growth dynamics. We show that, upon hatching,
> Pterodaustro juveniles grew rapidly for
> approximately
> 2 years until they reached approximately 53% of
> their
> mature body size, whereupon they attained sexual
> maturity. Thereafter, growth continued for at least
> another 3?4 years at comparatively slower rates
> until
> larger adult body sizes were attained. Our analysis
> further provides definitive evidence that
> Pterodaustro
> had a determinate growth strategy.
>
> _________________________________
>
> I always love new info on what was probably the
> weirdest (and thus, neatest) pterosaur ever. Judging
> from the results, it seems _Pterodaustro_ wasn't
> getting a whole lot out of the filter feeding
> lifestyle.
>

> Jason
>
> "I am impressed by the fact that we know less about
> many modern [reptile] types than we do of many
> fossil groups." - Alfred S. Romer

> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Be a better friend, newshound, and