Re: QfF

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 2:16 PM,  <hammeris1@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> If those hairy, red-eyed, ape-big-toed, chimp-like muzzled
>  monstrosities were supposed to be in the genus Homo
>  (Homo heidelbergensis), then eeeeew.

Those were supposed to be an unspecified "australopithecine", I think.
And the pro-wrestler redheads weren't really based on anything
specific. Mostly they just wanted to convey the idea that, throughout
the history of the human group, there were often several coexisting
species.

>  I think it's more realistic to say they just blew it.  :-)

But compare it to One Million Years B.C. or Eegah! or Caveman or The
Flintstones. It's not in the same class as those at all. Clan of the
Cave Bear is the only other "caveman" movie I can think of that is
actually *somewhat* based on science. (Well, than and the opening
sequence of 2001: A Space Odyssey.)

>  I will say I enjoy QfF in a take-it-with-500kg-of-salt sorta way.

It's silly, but convincingly played, and there are parts, at least,
that are fairly accurate. The first time you see Ron Perlman you
really do feel like he's some animal, not exactly human.

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology