New Papers in Manhattan

Jürgen Hummel, Carole T. Gee, Karl-Heinz Südekum, P. Martin Sander, Gunther
Nogge, & Marcus Clauss (2008)  In vitro digestibility of fern and gymnosperm
foliage: implications for sauropod feeding ecology and diet selection.  Proc.
Biol. Sci. 275: 1015-1021

Abstract: "Sauropod dinosaurs, the dominant herbivores throughout the Jurassic,
challenge general rules of large vertebrate herbivory.  With body weights
surpassing those of any other megaherbivore, they relied almost exclusively on
pre-angiosperm plants such as gymnosperms, ferns and fern allies as food
sources, plant groups that are generally believed to be of very low nutritional
quality.  However, the nutritive value of these taxa is virtually unknown,
despite their importance in the reconstruction of the ecology of Mesozoic
herbivores.  Using a feed evaluation test for extant herbivores, we show that
the energy content of horsetails and of certain conifers and ferns is at a
level comparable to extant browse.  Based on our experimental results, plants
such as _Equisetum_, _Araucaria_, _Ginkgo_ and _Angiopteris_ would have formed
a major part of sauropod diets, while cycads, tree ferns and podocarp conifers
would have been poor sources of energy.  Energy-rich but slow-fermenting
 _Araucaria_, which was globally distributed in the Jurassic, was probably
targeted by giant, high-browsing sauropods with their presumably very long
ingesta retention times.  Our data make possible a more realistic calculation
of the daily food intake of an individual sauropod and improve our
understanding of how large herbivorous dinosaurs could have flourished in
pre-angiosperm ecosystems."

I haven't seen this paper, so I don't know anything about the content....

Poore, S.O.  The morphological basis of the arm-to-wing transition.  J. Hand
Surg. 33: 277-280.

Abstract: "Human-powered flight has fascinated scientists, artists, and
physicians for centuries. This history includes Abbas Ibn Firnas, a Spanish
inventor who attempted the first well-documented human flight; Leonardo da
Vinci and his flying machines; the Turkish inventor Hezarfen Ahmed Celebi; and
the modern aeronautical pioneer Otto Lilienthal.  These historic figures held
in common their attempts to construct wings from man-made materials, and though
their human-powered attempts at flight never came to fruition, the ideas and
creative elements contained within their flying machines were essential to
modern aeronautics.  Since the time of these early pioneers, flight has
continued to captivate humans, and recently, in a departure from creating wings
from artificial elements, there has been discussion of using reconstructive
surgery to fabricate human wings from human arms.  This article is a
descriptive study of how one might attempt such a reconstruction and in doing
so calls
 upon essential evidence in the evolution of flight, an understanding of which
is paramount to constructing human wings from arms.  This includes a brief
analysis and exploration of the anatomy of the 150-million-year-old fossil
_Archaeopteryx lithographica_, with particular emphasis on the skeletal
organization of this primitive bird's wing and wrist.  Additionally, certain
elements of the reconstruction must be drawn from an analysis of modern birds
including a description of the specialized shoulder of the European starling,
_Sturnus vulgaris_.  With this anatomic description in tow, basic calculations
regarding wing loading and allometry suggest that human wings would likely be
nonfunctional.  However, with the proper reconstructive balance between
primitive (_Archaeopteryx_) and modern (_Sturnus_), and in attempting to
integrate a careful analysis of bird anatomy with modern surgical techniques,
the newly constructed human wings could function as cosmetic features
simulating,
 for example, the nonfunctional wings of flightle!
ss birds.

Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star
power.