Re: Laelaps help

This issue has been something I've pondered for a long time (basically
when hearing all sorts of different pronunciations of "aetosaur"), and
whether it's technically correct under various linguistic rules or not, I've
more or less come to the conclusion that all those extra a's and o's in the
Old English spellings are essentially silent (unless you have a very thick
accent!) and serve basically as markers that the following "e" is long
rather than short.

Nope. The spellings are not English at all in any way whatsoever. It's just etymology: the words are lifted wholesale from Latin (which in most cases has lifted them from Greek).

Basically it _has_ to be "LEE-laps," or else you also
have to pronounce:

Are you insinuating that English has spelling rules? :-)

(To be fair, it does -- _over 85 % of the time_! http://www.zompist.com/spell.html Woohoo!)

"palaeontology" as "PAY-lay-on-TAH-loh-jee" (instead of "PAY-lee-on...")

Not that it matters, but where does the length of the first syllable come from?

"_Coelophysis_" as "SOY-loh-FY-sis" (instead of "SEE-loh-FY...")

The Greek word for "hollow" this is built on is _koilos_. Kappa, omikron, iota, lambda, omikron, sigma. So, _oi_ as in "oil". The Romans always equated this diphthong this with their own _oe_ -- _e_ as in "bed" --, and this practice is what Cope followed here. (It was even written as a Rule in the Strickland Code, the first precursor of the ICZN.)

etc. For "aetosaur," I often hear "ah-EE-toh-sawr" or "ay-EE-toh-sawr," but
I've always contended it's just "EE-toh-sawr."

But the ë goes back all the way to the original Greek.