RE: your first paleo book was:

Mike Keesey wrote:

> The one that got me interested in the science was A Field Guide to
> Dinosaurs by David Lambert. It's dated by now, but at the time it
> really impressed upon me just how many types of (non-avialan) dinosaur
> there were, beyond the half-dozen familiar ones that everyone knows.

I'll second that.  My copy was called "Collins Guide to Dinosaurs" - the name
under which it was published in the UK & Australia.  (Perhaps the name "Field
Guide" was regarded as potentially misleading, given that the average reader
was unlikely to encounter these animals "in the field".)  The book was
published 25 years ago, and is certainly dated (among other things, _Troodon_
was given as an ornithopod!), but that's the sad and inevitable fate of every
dinosaur book.  At the time, I loved my Guide.

(Incidentally, on a dinosaur trivia note... this was the book in which Lambert
inadvertently erected the name _Coloradisaurus_ for the preoccupied prosauropod
genus _Coloradia_.  Apparently Lambert was aware that Bonaparte had come up
with the replacement name _Coloradisaurus_, but he was unaware that Bonaparte
had yet to publish the name.  Thus the new name _Coloradisaurus_ came to be
attributed to Lambert, not Bonaparte.  AFAIK, _Coloradisaurus_ is the first and
only valid dinosaur name to be coined in a popular dinosaur book.)

Cheers

Tim
Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes.
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V3