Re: your first paleo book was:

Just checked my copy, and although it doesn't directly *state* that
*Coloradisaurus* is intended to replace *Coloradia*, the index does have
*Coloradia*=*Coloradisaurus*.

Fun topic, by the way.  I had a steep curve: When I was about 6, my favorite
dinosaur book went from a softcover ~24-page picture book to "100 Dinosaurs
From A to Z" (1986, "with the cooperation of Dr. Paul C. Sereno") to "The
Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs." I loved that book to death (literally -
I'm on my 3rd copy), even if it was a while before I could get much out of the
text.-Justin

-- David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
My first one was some unknown no-name book with pretty pictures and
sauropods in deep water. I was probably 7, and I wouldn't even recognize that
book anymore because I immediately went on to read all other dinosaur books I
was able to get.

>> The one that got me interested in the science was A Field Guide to
>> Dinosaurs by David Lambert. It's dated by now, but at the time it
>> really impressed upon me just how many types of (non-avialan) dinosaur
>> there were, beyond the half-dozen familiar ones that everyone knows.

Yes, that was very impressive! Such a book should exist on everything. :-) I
got it for Christmas... probably 1989 (the German translation came out in 1988,
unfortunately not in the least updated from the 1983 original). Very, very nice
layout by the anonymous Diagram Group.

Wait. 1989? I _was_ 7 years old at that time. So probably 1990 or even 1991.

> (among other things, _Troodon_ was given as an ornithopod!)

Yes, and *Dilophosaurus* and *Proceratosaurus*, like just about everything
else, were megalosaurids. Three double pages of megalosaurids -- all other
families have at most two! And *Avimimus* was mentioned in quite some detail...
got me very excited...

(Though not as much as a more popular book I read... probably earlier. It
introduced me to *Protoavis* and claimed it was _Early_ Triassic. Knowing that
dinosaurs otherwise start in the Late Triassic, I almost invented BCF. Oh man,
the emotions.)

And the teratosaurids were in there... I was quite surprised to find no
trace of them in the 1993 follow-up (which, incidentally, was translated in the
year the original came out, and which I got to read in the school library
immediately). It also took me some time to understand that not everyone
considered *Ornitholestes* a junior synonym of *Coelurus*. (The 1983 book
mentions a lot of junior synonyms that don't occur anywhere else in the book,
along with all genera they are now referred to, not just the one the type
species is referred to -- the whole book is at the genus level.)

> (Incidentally, on a dinosaur trivia note... this was the book in which
> Lambert inadvertently erected the name _Coloradisaurus_ for the
> preoccupied prosauropod genus _Coloradia_.  Apparently Lambert was aware
> that Bonaparte had come up with the replacement name _Coloradisaurus_, but
> he was unaware that Bonaparte had yet to publish the name.  Thus the new
> name _Coloradisaurus_ came to be attributed to Lambert, not Bonaparte.
> AFAIK, _Coloradisaurus_ is the first and only valid dinosaur name to be
> coined in a popular dinosaur book.)

Really? Does he make clear enough that it's a replacement name for
*Coloradia* Bonaparte? That's not all that easy. -- Unfortunately, I don't have
the book with me here in Paris...