Re: your first paleo book was:

I can't remember my first paleo book, although I still have a childhood book on
archaeology kicking around somewhere that deeply fascinated me in my early
years. My introduction to paleontology was a visit to the American Museum of
Natural History with my uncle's large family when I was around 10. But then my
interests wandered off to astronomy.

The first book I remember having that covered fossils was a reprint of Dunbar's
1949 "Historical Geology" text that was left behind in the house my parents
bought while I was in college. Initially I was more fascinated by the
pre-plate-tectonic maps of the past earth, but eventually I started reading
about fossils and dinosaurs.
--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com  http://www.jeffhecht.com