FW: Interest Announcement Cretaceous Symposium Volume

Forwarded by request:

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan_Titus@blm.gov [mailto:Alan_Titus@blm.gov]

Dear Esteemed Colleagues:

On May 22-23, 2009, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument will be
hosting (along with other partners to be announced later) a meeting in
Saint George, Utah, to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the Kaiparowits
Basin Project (KBP), a collaborative, interdisciplinary look at the Late
Cretaceous record of south-central Utah/north-central Arizona.  The KBP
builds on the foundation of outstanding research carried on by teams from
University of California Berkeley, Museum of Northern Arizona, Weber State
University, Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History, University of
Colorado Boulder, and others.  The meeting, titled "Advances in Western
Interior Late Cretaceous Paleontology and Geology" will be open to anyone
wishing to present research findings related to the title's theme.
However, from the presented papers, it is planned to publish a volume more
narrowly focused on the south-central Utah region.  Any and all
paleontology-geology papers featuring the southern Utah region in whole or
in part would be considered for inclusion in this volume.  Papers would not
have to feature new research. Well-illustrated overviews of fossil groups
in stratigraphic order and the geologic record are also being sought to
create an "atlas" of figured material and data for future researchers.

Please note this meeting is held in conjunction, and following the 8th
Conference on Fossil Resources Meeting, also to be held in St. George.  For
more information regarding the 8th CFR, please see the following website:

http://www.8cfr.org/

If you would be interested in presenting a paper to be included in the
regionally themed Utah Late Cretaceous volume, I would sincerely appreciate
hearing from you as I would like to assemble a list of potential authors
and papers to forward to Indiana University Press, the potential publisher.
Please reply with an author list and tentative title.  I will then take
your response to IUP and formalize an agreement for the volume.  It is
anticipated that manuscripts would be due August 1st, 2009, about two and a
half months after the meeting.  A formal announcement of the meeting will
come out shortly (with a really great logo!).

Please feel free to forward this announcement to anyone you feel might be
interested in presenting at the meeting or publishing a paper in this
volume as I know my email list is incomplete.

Best Regards,

Alan L. Titus-Paleontologist
Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
190 East Center Street
Kanab, UT  84741
voice: (435) 644-4332
fax: (435) 644-4350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jerry D. Harris
Director of Paleontology
Dixie State College
Science Building
225 South 700 East
St. George, UT  84770   USA
Phone: (435) 652-7758
Fax: (435) 656-4022
E-mail: jharris@dixie.edu
 and     dinogami@gmail.com
http://cactus.dixie.edu/jharris/

"There's a saying that goes 'people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw
stones'... OK. How about...NOBODY should throw stones. That's crappy
behavior! My policy is 'no stone-throwing regardless of housing situation.'
There's an exception, though. If you're TRAPPED in a glass house...and you
have a stone, then throw it! What are you, an idiot? It's really 'ONLY
people in glass houses should throw stones'... provided they're trapped, in
a house... with a stone. It's a little longer, but you know..."
                                 --- Demetri Martin