RE: Kickboxing Cassowary

Quoting Dino Guy Ralph <dinoguy@sbcglobal.net>:

> See a kangaroo rake a tourist's face with its hands and his groin with its
> feet at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B66gFbN3sg .  (Sorry, but it isn't
> very bloody).  Of course the kangaroo isn't out to kill the man.
>
> Is this a useful analog for dromaeosaur behavior?

I can't see Youtube videos at work - but based on the footage I've seen of
'roos doing this, they
tend to support their weight back on their tail in order to kick forward with
both feet. I doubt
dromaeosaurs tails could have been used in this way. However grasping prey with
the foreclaws
while plunging or raking with the toe claws is certainly possible (perhaps even
likely).

This fighting style in kangaroos is usually for intraspecific combat between
males, so it's intended
to be non-lethal for the most part. They wrestle with each other using the
forelimbs, then one will
kick out at the other when it feels like it might be losing. Male kangaroos
have a thickened area of
hide on their bellies to help protect them from such kicks. I beleive it's the
forelimb wrestling
however that is the true test of strength between them.

Although primarily for non-fatal intraspecific combat, 'roos can certainly kill
dogs if cornered
(although I suspect they'd try to out-run predators if at all possible).
There's only one reliable
account of a human being killed by a kangaroo though.

Apparently one of their favoured method of killing dogs is to lead them into
water and drown them
by holding them under!
http://www.kangaroo-protection-coalition.com/kangaroos-dogs.html

Dann Pigdon