Re: Is the Aerosteon paper full of hot air?

If I may, I'd like to reinforce Mark's suggestion that all people with an interest in dinosaur research read the two SVPOW postings about Aerosteon. It brings up an issue that was already causing me tremendous cognitive dissonance, but with the clarity and (and incisive wit) that comes a deeper familiarity with the specific literature:

http://svpow.wordpress.com/2008/10/04/the-aerosteon-saga-part-1-introduction-and-background/

Scott

Scott Hartman Science Director Wyoming Dinosaur Center 110 Carter Ranch Rd. Thermopolis, WY 82443 (800) 455-3466 ext. 230 Cell: (307) 921-8333

www.skeletaldrawing.com

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Witton <Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk> To: dinosaur@usc.edu Sent: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 6:07 am Subject: Is the Aerosteon paper full of hot air?

Hi folks,

If you're looking for something to procrastinate with on a dreary Monday
lunchtime, I heartily recommend checking out the latest SV-POW! posts. For a
change, this week's articles are not long, long descriptions of bits of sauropod
vertebrae that no-one else even knew existed, but are discussions of the science
and ethics that accompany the recently published _Aerosteon_ paper. You can find
part 1 here:

http://svpow.wordpress.com/2008/10/04/the-aerosteon-saga-part-1-introduction-and-background/

and it's sequel:

http://svpow.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/the-aerosteon-saga-part-2-overinflation-and-undercitation/

Recommended reading for anyone with an interest in performing and publishing
scientific research, I reckon.

So long,

Mark

--