To: "DML list" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: Tapejara Military Drone

I'm very happy to see them doing this project, as well. However, I am slightly concerned with the apparent fixation/focus on using the head and crest to generate the rolling and yawing moments. It can be used to do so, but a) the wings should still be the primary control surface (especially for roll) and b) Ross Elgin et al have data suggesting that large turning moments about the head would be damaging to the upper cervicals and basicranium in most taxa (dsungeripterids, with their massively expanded post-occipital process might have bucked the trend in this regard).

Still, it's neat stuff :)

--Mike