Re: Tapejara Military Drone

Thanks Jim: viva before Christmas, hopefully.

On the flying/walking mechadactyl thing, I must admit, I did go back to check
the press releases when writing that last message because it does, intuitively
at least, sound like an incredibly tall order. They're going to need to get
that membrane to neatly fold up when grounded, have a high-degree of suppleness
in the limbs, prevent it overbalancing and, well, basically design something
that's akin to a real pterosaur. I can't claim to really keep up with the world
of robotics and engineering, but, from what I have seen, I'm amazed at how
difficult it can be to manufacture things that, in nature, are so second
nature. I appreciate that actions like walking and flying are actually
incredibly sophisticated actions that we take for granted, but I suppose we see
them so frequently that it's surprising to see  engineers pour so much effort
into achieving even crude representations of them. Still, projects like this
have to be the way forward to push things forward, right?

Mark

--

Mark Witton

Palaeobiology Research Group
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road
Portsmouth
PO1 3QL

Tel: (44)2392 842418
E-mail: Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk
>>> jrc <jrccea@bellsouth.net> 07/10/08 8:08 PM >>>
I've spoken with Rick Lind, and he has a good head on his shoulders.  I
think they will do well with a fun project, even though I personally might
not agree with their thoughts about anatomy.  I am very enthusiastic about
their efforts toward walking (and think it will be very tough to accomplish
in a replica).
JimC
P.S.  Congrats on getting the PhD thesis behind you.