From: Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Kickboxing Cassowary
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Date: Tuesday, October 7, 2008, 4:43 PM

Dann Pigdon wrote:

>> The extinct _Harpagornis moorei_ (Haast's eagle) used to prey upon
moa, which
>> were at least ten times their body weight.
>
> Australian wedge-tailed eagle are know to kill and eat sheep on occasions:

Sheep set the bar pretty low in terms of putting up a fight.  The common sheep
is like a big, bleating kebab wrapped in wool.  Even the little kea is known to
attack them, by nibbling on their hides at night.  (Although the keas don't
usually kill the sheep - unless the wound gets badly infected!)

But I agree that the act of carnivorous theropods attacking much larger prey
has a long and venerable history - and may even have been the reason why flight
started in the first place.

Cheers

Tim