RE: Kickboxing Cassowary

Quoting Erik Boehm <erikboehm07@yahoo.com>:

> Wedgies actually have quite a reputation for being "mean" among the hang
> glidinng and para gliding community.
> Normally (at least in north america) you can get well within 10 feet of a
> hawk, vulture, eagle, etc, and it will either ignore you or avoid you.
>
> The aussie wedgies are the only exception I know of, and have been known to
> tear/slash hangglider and paraglider wings multiple times in one flight
>
> Could be they are intelligent enough to realize such wings are incapable of
> fighting back due to the pilot being a few feew/dozens of feet away from the
> wing, and the poor manuverability (or speed for paragliders) of the craft.
>
> Or they just don't think to much about attacking something bigger than them.

Maybe they're used to being the largest things in the Australian sky, and don't
have any concept of
something 'bigger'. I don't think there've been any larger flying animals in
Australia for as long as
wedge-tails have been in residence (correct me if I'm wrong there).

Wedge-tails regularly patrol the borders of their territories, making a point
of being seen by eagles
in adjacent territories. Anything large that violates their territorial space
(that isn't their mate) may
trigger territorial fighting behaviour.

Dann Pigdon