RE: "Pachy's" had horns?

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Tommy Bradley
>
> Hi Everybody,
> I know Jurassic Fight Club hasn't exactly been right on the
> money with their interpretations, but I had to say something
> about this latest episode.  Put simply...
>
> Nose horns...on a *Pachyrhinosaurus?*

No positive evidence for it, no. (At least as adults)

> I know I'm not exactly an expert in this field but, wouldn't
> there be a horn core if they had a nose horn?

Those who advocate(d) this idea suggested a keratinous horn rising from the
mass, rather than one with a horn core. So more rhino than bovine.

> Is the nose horn theory still popular?

Not with me it ain't. And Witmer clearly has evidence that at least a
rhino-type attachment was not present. I can't speak for others.

Again, though, this was due to the way the program was organized: the models
were done and the fights decided and being animated prior to the interviews
with the consultants.

> P.S.  The NOVA show about 'Arctic Dinosaurs' aired on our
> local PBS channel, and it was very entertaining and informative.

Yes, it was indeed the Week of Pachyrhinosaurus!

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/