RE: "Pachy's" had horns?

---------------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:50:10 -0400
> From: tholtz@umd.edu
> Subject: RE: "Pachy's" had horns?
>> On Behalf Of Tommy Bradley
>> Is the nose horn theory still popular?
>
> Not with me it ain't. And Witmer clearly has evidence that at least a
> rhino-type attachment was not present. I can't speak for others.

With all due respect to Dr. Witmer, most of the credit for the work on horn
attachment, etc., should go to Tobin Hieronymus, one of Larry's students.

See:
Hieronymus, T.L., L.M. Witmer, and R. Ridgely (2006) The structure of white
rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum) horn investigated by X-ray computed tomography
and histology, with implications for growth and external form. Journal of
Morphology 267:1172–1176.
PDF available at:
http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/dbms-hieronymus/Hieronymus%20et%20al%202006%20Rhinoceros%20horn%20structure.pdf

And a related SVP abstract:

Hieronymus, T.L., L.M. Witmer, D. Tanke, and P.J. Currie. (2006) Horn
morphology of Pachyrhinosaurus and horn evolution in centrosaurine dinosaurs.
Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 26(3, suppl): 75A.

Andy