Re: Burian's _Prehistoric Animals_

Quoting Danvarner@aol.com:

> _Prehistoric Animals_, by  Josef Augusta with illustrations by Zdenek Burian
>
> was published in English by  Spring Books in 1957. Burian's paintings became
>
> known world-wide as a result. I  received a large postcard in the mail
> advertising it, but $12.50 was way beyond  my eight-year-old budget. But I
> did get a
> copy later. For those of you who are  unfamiliar with the classic book's
> paintings, I believe the entire series can be  seen at the blog below. Click
> on the
> pics to enlarge. My favorite is the Irish  Elk.

I have a much-treasured copy of this at home, which I bought in the early
1980s. Some of the
dinosaur paintings are showing their age (kangaroo-like Iguanodon, splay-legged
tyrannosaurs,
tail-dragging sauropods), but the mammals are fantastic. It seems as if you
could count every hair
on the mammoths or wooly rhinos.

I think the Compsognathus painting still holds up well though.

Dann Pigdon