Pterosaurs & paleogenomics

Organ, C.L. and Shedlock, A.M. (2008).  Palaeogenomics of pterosaurs and the
evolution of small genome size in flying vertebrates.  Biology Letters
FirstCite Early Online Publishing.  DOI: 10.1098/rsbl.2008.0491

http://journals.royalsociety.org/content/ll3905jh513jv850/fulltext.html

Abstract: "The two living groups of flying vertebrates, birds and bats, both
have constricted genome sizes compared with their close relatives.  But nothing
is known about the genomic characteristics of pterosaurs, which took to the air
over 70Myr before birds and were the first group of vertebrates to evolve
powered flight.  Here, we estimate genome size for four species of pterosaurs
and seven species of basal archosauromorphs using a Bayesian comparative
approach.  Our results suggest that small genomes commonly associated with
flight in bats and birds also evolved in pterosaurs, and that the rate of
genome-size evolution is proportional to genome size within amniotes, with the
fastest rates occurring in lineages with the largest genomes.  We examine the
role that drift may have played in the evolution of genome size within
tetrapods by testing for correlated evolution between genome size and body
size, but find no support for this hypothesis.  By contrast, we find evidence
 suggesting that a combination of adaptation and phylogenetic inertia best
explains the correlated evolution of flight and genome-size contraction.  These
results suggest that small genome/cell size evolved prior to or concurrently
with flight in pterosaurs.  We predict that, similar to the pattern seen in
theropod dinosaurs, genome-size contraction preceded flight in pterosaurs and
bats."