RE: Epidexipteryx

Eike  wrote:

> Has there ever been anything on pedomorphosis playing a role in birds
> becoming fully arboreal?

A while back, Tony Thulborn wrote something similar (though not explicitly
about arboreality).  From what I remember, it was something along the lines of
the avian bodyplan arising via pedomorphosis.

Jeff Hecht wrote:

>  All of which leaves us with a diverse range of little feathered dinosaurs
> closely related to birds running around the late Jurassic and early
> Cretaceous.

Definitely.  What's more, there's an impressive array of small (and
not-so-small) insectivorous, herbivorous, and omnivorous maniraptorans close to
the origin of birds: alvarezsaurs, therizinosaurs, oviraptorosaurs (including
_Incisivosaurus_ & _Protarchaeopteryx_), scansoriopterygids, possibly
troodontids...  Among non-avian maniraptorans, the hypercarnivorous
dromaeosaurids are starting to look like the exception, not the rule.

Cheers

Tim
http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008