RE: Epidexipteryx

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Tim Williams
>
> Definitely.  What's more, there's an impressive array of
> small (and not-so-small) insectivorous, herbivorous, and
> omnivorous maniraptorans close to the origin of birds:
> alvarezsaurs, therizinosaurs, oviraptorosaurs (including
> _Incisivosaurus_ & _Protarchaeopteryx_), scansoriopterygids,
> possibly troodontids...  Among non-avian maniraptorans, the
> hypercarnivorous dromaeosaurids are starting to look like the
> exception, not the rule.

This was an important aspect of Lindsay Zanno's Romer Prize session talk at
SVP, and I have alluded to this before as well. Of course, what we really
need are very basal (Middle Jurassic, for instance) ornithomimosaurs,
therizinosaurs, alvarezsaurs, and oviraptorosaurs to see if these guys
inherited or convergently evolved their non-hypercarnivory.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/