RE: Tiny dinosaur on verge of swearing off meat

David Marjanovic wrote:

> Unfortunately, I have only now stopped to think if this fascinating
> discovery tells us anything about *Eshanosaurus*.

One intriguing possibility is that _Eshanosaurus_ is really a theropod after
all, and is some kind of coelurosaur.  If so, as an Early Jurassic omnivorous
coelurosaur, _Eshanosaurus_ might represent the template from which later
maniraptoriforms evolved from.  _Eshanosaurus_ may even be close to
_Ornitholestes_, which would put it inside the Maniraptoriformes.

OK, so I don't rate this hypothesis too highly at the moment.  But even though
there are some carnivorous (or putatively carnivorous) taxa that turn up at the
base of the Coelurosauria, such as _Proceratosaurus_ and probably _Gasosaurus_
(although the skull is unknown), a shift away from hypercarnivory may have
occurred quite deep in the Coelurosauria.

Cheers

Tim