I'm not sure what you mean by side-to-side. Crampons have points directed in two directions. A set of 8 or so are on the bottom of the crampon for walking on icy / snowy surfaces. Two point forward from the front, to gain purchase on high angle or vertical surfaces, with the foot simply projecting into space. One can even stand with a single front directed point in the ice, is it is set well enough in the ice. But is such cases one is using ice axes or some such with one's arms. My advice is to stick with skateboarding.

Dan

David Marjanovic wrote:
Setting aside true arboreality for the moment - how well would they be have been able to use their claws as crampons for ascending trunks, rocks, whatever?

Don't crampons work side-to-side? Sickle claws worked top-down and probably had a cutting edge. They were not round in cross-section.