David Marjanovic wrote:

<But then, no animal today has anything similar to a sickle claw.>

  That the claw function is being keyed in directly to that of predatory birds
and cats, tells us that we are deliberately comparing the functionality between
these groups.

<"The present is not the key to the past. The past is the key to the present,
and to the future.">

  Exactly. Indeed, we must work with what has been known, and done, to develop
what CAN be known, and be done. In this case, we have no clue what the past
tells us with the claw function, since keratinous sheath covering the unguals
of even extinct taxa is in agreement with that in extant bird taxa. This tells
us the raptors being used for comparison are an excellent constraint. And they
don't slice with the bulk of their ungual, just the tips. This is also how
tigers disembowel prey.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/