Re: Brusatte et al. 2008

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2008 10:32 PM

Also, adding *Ctenosauriscus* would be interesting, and aren't there supposed "rauisuchians" from the Middle Triassic of Russia? (I'll check tomorrow.)

There are plenty, and they extend back into the Early Triassic (Olenekian), if the classification can be trusted. Complete list of Russian archosauriforms of the Early and Middle Triassic as of 1997, in chronological order from top to bottom:

Early Triassic
- *Wetlugasaurus* fauna
-- Induan = *Tupilakosaurus*-*Luzocephalus* assemblage
   Proterosuchidae
       *Blomosuchus georgii*
       *Chasmatosuchus* sp.
       *Vonhuenia friedrichi*
-- Olenekian
--- *Benthosuchus*-*Thoosuchus* assemblage
   Proterosuchidae
       *Chasmatosuchus rossicus*
       *Exilisuchus* (?) *tubercularis*
   Rauisuchidae
       *Tsylmosuchus samariensis*
--- *Angusaurus* assemblage
   Proterosuchidae
       *Chasmatosuchus* sp.
       *Exilisuchus tubercularis*
   Rauisuchidae
       *Tsylmosuchus jakovlevi*
--- *Vyborosaurus*-*Angusaurus* assemblage
   Proterosuchidae
       *Chasmatosaurus* sp.
   Rauisuchidae
       *Tsylmosuchus jakovlevi*
- *Parotosuchus* fauna (all Olenekian)
--- Early assemblage
   Erythrosuchidae
       *Garjainia prima*
   Rauisuchidae
       *Tsylmosuchus* sp.
--- Late assemblage
   Proterosuchidae
       *Gamosaurus lozovskii*
   Erythrosuchidae
       *Garjainia triplicostata*
   Rauisuchidae
       *Jaikosuchus magnus*
       *Tsylmosuchus donensis*
       *Vytshegdosuchus zheshartensis*
- *Eryosuchus* fauna (Anisian and lower Ladinian -- not distinguished)
   Proterosuchidae
       *Sarmatosuchus otschevi*
   Erythrosuchidae
       *Uralosaurus magnus*
   Rauisuchidae
       *Dongusia colorata*
       *Dongusuchus efremovi*
       *Vjushkovisaurus berdjanensis*
   Euparkeriidae
       *Dorosuchus neoetus*
- *Mastodonsaurus* fauna (upper Ladinian)
   Erythrosuchidae
       *Chalishevia cothurnata*
   Rauisuchidae
       *Energosuchus garjainovi*
       *Jushatyria vjushkovi*

It appears, though, that most of these are known from little material, such as isolated vertebrae. Illustrations of *Tsylmosuchus*, for example, are limited to vertebrae and half an ilium.

Source for everything, including the 1950s-like classification: pp. 51 -- 54 of M. F. Ivakhnenko, V. K. Golubev, Yu. M. Gubin, N. N. Kalandadze, I. V. Novikov, A. G. Sennikov & A. S. Rautian: [Permian and Triassic tetrapods of eastern Europe], Geos 1997 (in Russian)

There are other surprises in that book, too. For example, a sphenodontid (*Scharschengia enigmatica*) is reported from the *Benthosuchus*-*Thoosuchus* assemblage of the *Wetlugasaurus* fauna, and no less than four trilophosaurids (*Coelodontognathus donensis*, *C. ricovi*, *Vitalia grata* and *Doniceps lipovensis*) are reported from the late assemblage of the *Parotosuchus* fauna.

A few months ago I was told university professors in Russia earn 400 US$ a month.