Re: Triassic dinosaur evolution

--- On Wed, 9/17/08, Mike Habib <habib@jhmi.edu> wrote:

> don ohmes wrote:
>
> > As a tall biped, seizing an animal that weighs as much
> as you is a
> > good recipe for getting pulled off your feet, and
> having some hooked
> > levers to push off/hold on the flank of the
> 'grippee' would be very
> > handy for the 'gripper'. Could also increase
> wounding power,
> > especially in pullback/worry phase, and help to
> maintain position/
> > balance for another bite (or even flight).
>
> This is a good point, and I have generally assumed about
> the same sort
> of thing.  However, I am beginning to doubt the mechanical
> feasibility
> of a grip and bite dynamic, at least for most mid to large
> sized non-
> maniraptoran theropods.  It's actually not a simple
> task to get, say,
> your average allosaurid into a position in which the jaws
> can engage
> the flank of hypothetical large target while the arms are
> also hooked
> in - the required cervical position appears to violate
> articulation
> limits.

Hmmm. I have been assuming that if the average allosaurid were bite a larger
animal on the nape or base of the neck, the chest of the allosaurid would be
pulled into the prey if it twisted or pulled away. At which point (in my
cartoon) the claws would latch on, providing a fulcrum and a point of balance.

However, if articulation is such that the chest and teeth could not make
contact w/ large prey simultaneously, even under those circumstances, then the
"point" is perhaps not so "good"...

Don