Re: Triassic dinosaur evolution

However, if articulation is such that the chest and teeth could not make contact w/ large prey simultaneously, even under those circumstances, then the "point" is perhaps not so "good"...

Indeed, that's the issue I'm wondering about. Problem is, I'm not an expert on the range of motion in the cervical series of large theropods (I'm much more familiar with the values for the avian variety, which are very, very skewed by comparison...) But, based on the information I have, quite a few of the mid to large theropods have reasonably stiff necks in the sense that a tight S-curve is difficult.

There's also the issue that the prey item needs to be quite large for there to be any real chance of simultaneous grappling and biting, which then raises all the usual banter and uncertainty regarding plausible prey sizes (i.e. did allosaurs really attack sauropods and the like).

Cheers,

--Mike

Michael Habib, M.S. PhD. Candidate Center for Functional Anatomy and Evolution Johns Hopkins School of Medicine 1830 E. Monument Street Baltimore, MD 21205 (443) 280-0181 habib@jhmi.edu