RE: Campbell's even crazier than a MANIAC? (archeopteryx climbing)

Evelyn Sobielski wrote:

> OTOH, these arboreal characters are exaptations in most living gliders.
> Flying squirrels are perhaps most adapted, but *Draco* and colugos really
> just expanded on a pre-existing theme.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Apart from the fact that colugos are 'mitten
gliders' (= patagium extends between the fingers and toes), they are very
similar to 'flying' squirrels in overall morphology.  So I'm not sure why
similar arboreal behaviors wouldn't lead to gliding in both 'flying' squirrels
and colugos.

>> Perching is a way of reconciling obligate bipedalism with
>> arboreality.
>
> True, but not one that works in Jurassic theropods ;-)

Yes.  We don't see good evidence of perching ability in birds until the
Cretaceous.

Cheers

Tim