RE: Campbell's even crazier than a MANIAC? (archeopteryx climbing)

--- Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> schrieb am Mo, 22.9.2008:

> especially when there's no elongated,
> reversed hallux on the other side of the foot.

Indeed, indeed, indeed! I would consider investing in Morgan Stanley stock a
wiser decision that depending on Archie having had a backward hallux.

Forward to sideways, the angle between toe I and IV 90-150°ish. And of course
not so firmly attached that it could not, with a bit of decomposition, flap
backwards.

I do not know any backtoeless (other toes may be co-opted instead of a lost
hallux) perchers among living birds, and there are backtoeless species in
abundance. There might be one or two, but I am not aware of any off the top of
my head. Vertical-climbers, it's possible  but you need a different style of
climbing and are not very mobile.

There are backfinger- and -toeless "perching" mammals and others aplenty, but
they have less restricted hip joint movement, bringing us back to where we
started.

Eike