RE: Campbell's even crazier than a MANIAC? (archeopteryx climbing)

Eike wrote:

<I do not know any backtoeless (other toes may be co-opted instead of a lost
hallux) perchers among living birds, and there are backtoeless species in
abundance. There might be one or two, but I am not aware of any off the top of
my head. Vertical-climbers, it's possible  but you need a different style of
climbing and are not very mobile.>

  The foot of pelicans is pretty characteristic of a non-back-toe-pointing pes
in an animal that can stand on branches and "perch". That toe cannot reverse,
as in medially oriented..

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/