Augusto Haro wrote:

<This indicates that *Microraptor* is far removed from the base of the
Deinonychosauria.>

This is not as relevant as it may seem. If your case was to use
*Archaeopteryx*, *Microraptor*, then a given largem-bodied dromaeosaur like
*Velociraptor*, and a few birds, we can get this:

--+--+--Microraptor
  |  `--Velociraptor
  `--+--Archaeopteryx
     `--+--Jeholornis
        `--+--Sapeornis
           `--+--Confuciusornis
              `--More stuff

  If we were to take this tree and compare the physical morphologies of the
nodes to one another to figure out which came first, and which was derived from
that condition, I would asusme we would at first infer that it was
*Microraptor* first, as it derived from the ancestor of *Microraptor* and
*Archaeopteryx* "first", or at least its lineage did. However, its morphology
of feather anatomy is, so far, limited to itself. this thus gives us a hefty
constraint that we cannot infer that morphology to the given posited ancestor,
just to a descendant, for which we have evidence of. *Archaeopteryx* lacks this
characteristic morphology, and in  fact possesses far different pectoral,
pelvic, and limb morphology in having longer arms, shorter legs, relatively
shorter-proportioned legs and larger arms to body size, and so forth. We can
not only posit that they two animals have derived substantively from a similar
ancestor, but they have done so in different
 directions. To argue that one of them is representative of the native
condition without knowing what morphology came first is not informative and in
fact rather phenetic. If we argue that *Mahakala* came first, was at the root
of this tree for the sake of Paraves, we must derive from its morphology the
conditions of both *Archaeopteryx* and *Microraptor*. Neither of the end
products changes position simply because it might have more phenetic similarity
to the other, if both (again) derived from the same conditional ancestor, even
if it was something like *Mahakala*.

  (I also advise you to read up on several of the other phylogenies, as well as
Senter's work on the topic. Note also that Turner et al. is a variation of the
Theropod Working Group matrix, which is essentially the same phylogeny growing
over the last 10 years.)

<With respect to the possibility of femoral abduction in *Microraptor* itself,
I agree that the preserved position is an artifact, and think not so much
abduction was possible, but that does not mean the angle of adduction in birds
is impossible.>

  I did not argue that avian abduction was impossible, but that microraptorian
eversion was.

<Jaime, do you refer to the *trochanter femoris* when you say trochanteric
body?>

  I refer to the region of the proximal femur whereupon the trochanters arise
lateral to the femoral neck and caput (I'm not using the Latin, simply because
avian morphology is so much more modified than the condition in *Microraptor*
in this case). here you not only have the proximal greater trochanter, which
apparently abuts the acetabular dorsal shelf and posteriorly contacts the
antitrochanter, but also the anterior trochanter above the lesser which are
rather low compared to the condition in, say, *Velociraptor* (i.e., the femoral
caput is relatively elevated, although this may be an artifact in Hwang et al.s
studied specimens, since the material is a bit crushed and distorted, and may
also indicate splay of the elements). In birds, a different morphology permits
movement of the femur not possible (lateral eversion of the shaft about the
long axis and outward from the body midline) in *Microraptor*, based at least
on Hwang et al. This says nothing
 about birds.

<I fail to see differences between *Microraptor* and birds that can prevent the
femur of *Microraptor* to achieve many of the movements seen in birds. Applying
the Extant Phylogenetic Bracket approach (Witmer, 1995), we should infer, if
there is no compelling anatomical evidence against, that abduction was possible
at full retraction not only in *Microraptor*, but in other dinosaurs as well,
as it is present in their closest living relatives, Crocodylia and Neornithes.>

  Except that this is not possible in most dinosaurs. Unlike crocodilians, the
basal condition for dinosaurs and therefore theropods and birds, is a bipedal
arrangement with a fully perforate acetabulum, cylindrical caput with virtually
NO neck, and a broad and high greater trochanter and antitrochanteric contact,
that not only restricts posterior but also lateral excursion of the femur,
medial excursion, and essentially restricts the femur to a
forward-then-back-to-neutral mobility. Only in smaller animals does this become
less constrained, so in this sense, the bracket says nothing simply because
morphology contradicts it (morphology trumps assumptions of what it should be
if we know of it -- Witmer's EPB arguments apply to what is NOT known of the
representative taxa between known extents).

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden