Re: Campbell's even crazier than a MANIAC? (archeopteryx

PS: What about the strong trend of cursorial small *crown* theropods to lose their hallux entirely? It simply works far better with three toes only. IIRC there is NO living bird, and at best very few extinct ones, that engage in vigorous running for a living and have anything but a vestigial elevated hallux. Archie's feet do not look like the feet of an animal that was good at take-off runs.

Roadrunners are zygodactyl: http://www.boneclones.com/images/bc-243-set-lg.jpg

I don't see any particular reason to presume that Archaeopteryx could not run effectively, but I wouldn't expect it to run to launch, anyway.

Cheers,

--Mike