--- On Sun, 9/28/08, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> > I beg to disagree. I don't think finches can
> glide, and I've never seen a
> > bat doing it (granted, my
> > experience with bats begins and ends with the
> grey-headed flying foxes in
> > my backyard). I
> > sincerely doubt that hummingbirds can glide either.
>
> Oops. Bats are famous for not gliding, and I bet
> hummingbirds can't do it
> either -- their wings are seriously tiny; except for the
> size of the hand,

Googling "flying fox, soaring" brings up numerous hits. Also, hummingbirds are
known to glide at high altitude in the Andes, iirc, and I have observed
rubythroats gliding as much as 2 or 3 meters.

It is a safe bet that any flapper vert has the physical capacity to glide short
distances, even if the behavioral phenotype may not demonstrate it.

Don