 I noticed something interesting while watching the Documentary 'Planet Earth'.
Part of the show covered flying lemurs, which due to lack of time, I'm not
going to describe. So for those who aren't familiar with this
animal>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_lemur

 What I noticed was that these animals were "flapping"; by this I mean they
were providing a small amount of thrust by undulating their tail up and down.
Here is clear example of the most advanced gliding mammal in the world using a
primitive form of flapping thrust.

  I also wanted to ask, do animals that live in heavily forested areas
fossilize easily? If not, this could explain why the major groups of flying
animals seem to "pop up out of nowhere". Their ancestors could have lived in
thick jungles where animals would rapidly decompose and be consumed by
predators.