RE: Campbell's even crazier than a MANIAC? (archeopteryx

> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:36:53 +0200
> From: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
> Subject: Re: Campbell's even crazier than a MANIAC? (archaeopteryx
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu

 I see what you mean; I was comparing the hand size with the overall body size,
but when you compare the hand's length relative to the rest of the arm they
seem like perfectly normal maniroptaran hands.

>> In fact the greatly elogated 3rd digit of an assumption manus closely
>> resembles the elongated toes of an iguana's foot.
>
> To me it looks like if this animal used anything for climbing, it was the
> first two fingers, not the third, which is lengthened so it can be stuck
> into holes in trees...

I think that's more or less an assumption drawn from a (poor) comparison with
the aye aye. If you look at an aye-aye's "probing" finger, you'll notice that
it's not the longest finger on the hand, just the thinnest. The hand of
Epidendrosaurus more closely resemble the configuration of an Iguana's hind
foot. The greatly elongated toe of an iguana's foot is used as a simple hook to
catch hard to read branches, it's purely an arboreal adaptation.