From: "Denver Fowler" <df9465@yahoo.co.uk>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Tuesday, 30 September, 2008 9:27:12 AM GMT +08:00 Perth
Subject: Re: weird jurassic dinobird with very weird feathers

Wow. Wow. Wow... and I don't mean the fossil. What a bizarre way to publish
anything. Is this the end of peer review? This is not a pre-print archive; it's
pre-review... I can understand the appeal of such formats, and it's commendable
that the authors are prepared to put this out on the web ahead of publication,
but I find it bizarre that Nature, of all places, is advocating previewing
research, when they embargo you talking about your research if you want it
published in Nature. Does this mean that anything put on Nature precedings
cannot consequently be published in Nature?

So is it appropriate to discuss something that has not even been reviewed, or
published? Apparently you can cite this resource, if you read Nature's help
guide to what 'precedings' is.. Is this going to be a place where everyone puts
their SVP presentations?

Weird.

D.

Denver Fowler